Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Soup of the season, soup of the day

For some reason I have become very interested in making and eating soup. I think it started with a very large container of dried mushrooms I found at Costco. Included were Porcini, Morels, Brazilian (?!), Ivory Portabellas, Shiitake and Oyster. Although weighing only eight ounces, the container was more than 15" high and 5" on each side - now that could be lifetime supply...

I've used all but the last 4". I've done pasta, stuffed peppers, and two large batches of home-made mushroom soup, pictured here at the simmering in butter phase, before liquids are added.

This last batch I made for Sunday dinner between Christmas and the New Year, with Alison, Brink, Susan and the twins Tessa and Jack. Adults were pleased with the soup and took second helpings. Jack and Tessa, as typical three-year-olds, were still working on the crack cocaine supplied by the Christmas season - toys, sugar and irregular schedules, plus a touch of parental stress.

Cooking for my family is without question one of the most satisfying things I can do - I could be happy making toast. However, there is nothing like a challenge ingredient to up the stakes and make life a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment